5.14.2012

knot front dress

Boy, have I been spoiled by Wiksten and Grainline patterns!  They hold my hand and walk me so nicely through each step - I forgot that's not what the "real world" of patterns is like!  I've recently discovered burdastyle.com and when I sat down to sew I had a moment of panic when I realized I had to read the foreign language of patterns again after so long.

Surprisingly, I didn't have to rip out a single stitch.


Pattern:  Dress With Knot Front
Fabric:  Dropcloth by Jay McCarroll for Free Spirit, purchased on etsy at Fresh Modern Fabric


Notes
  • Piecing the downloaded pattern was difficult and I had to make a lot of adjustments, but I think that was mostly my own inaccuracies.
  • This is a tall pattern, and even though I am 5'10" I took another 2.5" off the seam of the short version of the dress correction:  the pattern calls for a 1 7/8" hem allowance, but I chopped off 2.5" and THEN used a 2.5" seam allowance.
  • The knot was surprisingly easy and pretty cool to make.
  • I just eked out with enough fabric - I didn't notice that it calls for 55" wide fabric and took for granted that it would be standard with 44" - luckily this is an easy fabric to cut any direction so I was able to finagle a strange layout to make it work.
  • I love the print, but the fabric itself doesn't have as much drape as I would like.
  • The cut of the bust is a little risque unless you've got it all filled out up there!  Camisole underneath.
  • Overall OK, but not my favorite creation, I think mostly because this is a silhouette that I kind of find a little boring.  I'm wondering how I could adjust it but still have it revolve around that nifty knot.

Not a great picture, but just to show the length...

14 comments:

  1. this is really lovely. I don't usually buy Burda magazine, but I did for this very pattern, which I hope to sew up for summer. I'm 5'10" too, so it's nice to see how it fits length-wise on someone of a similar height!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's actually a pretty fun pattern, I look forward to seeing yours! Now that I think about it I shortened the hem even more - the pattern calls for a 1 7/8" hem allowance, but I chopped off 2.5" and THEN used a 2.5" seam allowance. Good luck!

      Delete
  2. Anonymous15.5.12

    Ooooh, I like the print. ~ Twinnie

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is fantastic! The pattern is amazing and the drop cloth print makes it look even better. I bet there is a lot of ironing involved if you want to wear it though :( What fabric do you think would work best for this pattern. It might be something I could attempt to make for the summer months.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Fortunately I can't stand ironing and don't do it much but hopefully the irregularities of the fabric pattern will camoflauge the wrinkles. A fabric with more drape probably would be better for this pattern - here is a nice version: http://selfishseamstress.wordpress.com/2012/03/05/burda-3-2012-108-not-just-for-tall-girls-anymore/

      You should make one it's a good pattern, I think (what do I know about these things though)

      Delete
  4. I saw that dress on the Selfish Seamstress as well a while ago and have been eyeing it...but just like you say, we are spoiled by Wiksten and Grainline patterns and I was actually a bit scared of it (that, and I have a queue of like 10 items of clothing I really want to make when I find the time :) ). I love your version, the fabric is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! After you get over the initial shock and just follow the pictures and take the written directions with a grain of salt, it's not that bad. The knot's kind of fun to make. I have a long queue too and just did a big fabric shop! Next post!

      Delete
  5. ohh it's you!! :) I saw your wonderful dress on Burdastyle, it's so nice! Congratulations!!
    I have a long queue as you both! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, thanks! Can't wait to see what you are working on....!

      Delete
  6. that is stunning on you!  I looove it, cute fabric too, and don't worry about ironing, it's overrated.

    ReplyDelete
  7. smunch15.6.12

    Thank you so much!  It's nice to hear from you, I know you've been busy, I hope you're doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. shnickshnack22.8.12

    I love the fabric! Where did you get the material from?

    ReplyDelete
  9. smunch23.8.12

    I got it here! http://www.etsy.com/shop/FreshModernFabric?section_id=7962800 But I don't know if they still carry it.

    ReplyDelete